Following the March 2013 election of Pope Francis — the first pope from Latin America, the first Jesuit pope, the first non-European pope in over a millennium, and the first Francis —the world scrambled to understand the significance of this surprising choice to lead the world’s billion Catholics.
The following posts represent an effort to understand the significance of the new pope and his message as his pontificate unfolds in real time.
- Pope Francis: Rebuilding the Church Through Communication (April 17)
- The Unmistakeable New Voice of Pope Francis (April 29)
- Today, a Social Teaching Triple Header (May 15)
- What’s in (Chanting) a Name? (May 21)
- Six Months and an Eighth Commandment Pope (September 13)
- From One Francis to Another (December 13)